Have you considered the benefits of creating and maintaining order and structure in your life? Think of the structure of your life as much like the base of a building. Organization provides a strong foundation so you can function safely and efficiently each day. This is not to say that you must be rigid in the name of structure, though. Having a sense of order can help you in many ways to become more productive and can even help increase your level of satisfaction with your activities.
Of course, you’ll experience times that require you to be flexible, but can you depend on the internal structure you’ve set up and a sense of orderliness to help you get through anything.
Recognize how orderliness can make your life better:
1. Structure makes your life more predictable. You think, “I know how this is going to go so I don’t have to worry about it.” And that’s kind of nice as opposed to not having that sense of comfort.
2. Orderliness helps you speed through routine tasks, practically without thinking. Many of your day-to-day actions become automatic when you build in structure. There’s something comforting about performing repeating tasks “on automatic,” without thinking, and having that sense that all will be okay. You can then use your active mind to conquer challenges and consider new ways of doing and being because the “automatic” tasks are already handled.
3. When everything has its place, you don’t have to spend time searching for things. This is one of my favorites, and one I struggled with for years! Have you ever spent an entire hour looking for your stamps or stapler? What about your keys? When you’ve established special places for these things, you’ll re-capture time lost scurrying around to find them.
4. Structure brings tranquility to your life. Your existence is calmer and you feel more at peace when there’s a certain amount of orderliness. Upon arriving home to your structured space, you’re swept away with feelings of serenity. Imagine, for instance, NOT having to paw through everything in your closet trying to find an outfit for your business day, a special occasion, or even a casual outing with friends…having a structured and organized closet will cut down on the search time, and you’ll feel more confident knowing that everything in your closet fits you well, looks good on you, and enhances your unique visual appeal.
* No matter how rough your work day, you can walk into the door of an orderly home and feel relaxed and safe.
* Staying organized at home gives you a respite from what may be a “messy” business or office situation. If order and structure are important to you, it’s even more important to have that sanctuary space where you can relax.
5. Orderliness discourages you from over-spending. If you spend too much money on stuff you’re unsure you’ll use, bringing some organization and structure into your home means you’ll save more money for the things you really want. You’ll also be able to avoid buying multiples of critical items that you use a lot because you can’t FIND them in the disorder that is present.
6. When you have structure, you know what to do and when. You’re more efficient when you allow your sense of orderliness to sometimes dictate your actions. You have confidence of what to do next, and that you’ll have exactly what you need to do a complete job.
7. Your appearance will improve. With organization, you’ll have more time to spend on your appearance plus you’ll be able to find your accessories, such as belts, jewelry, and make-up quickly. Taking more care with your appearance is easy when you’re well-organized. Try hanging garments that you love wearing together along with the accessories – you’ll be able to just reach into your closet and pull out a “go to” outfit on those days when you’re in a hurry!
8. More spare time to do what brings you joy is a great perk. Structure equals more time to take part in activities that soothe your soul. When you’re orderly, you’ll read more books, take more walks, paint more pictures, or enjoy other hobbies more often, and spend less time looking for things and trying to get rid of messes.
9. You’ll take pride in your home. This issue is complex: are you proud because you’re structured or orderly because you’re proud of yourself? Whichever the case, it will be less stress on you to entertain friends and family. You’ll truly feel proud about the condition of your home. And that’s worth a lot!
10. Others will envy you. The vast majority of people yearn to have the skills to get their life organized. People will look up to you because you present a motivating picture of what life can look like whenever one applies structure to his or her life. You may even inspire some around you to tackle their own structure and organization challenges, thereby improving their lives.
Consider life to be a winding journey. You have some control over the direction your life takes. Why not infuse some orderliness and structure into it as well?
Achieve the life you deserve by creating structure in your life. You’ll see you can accomplish anything you set your mind to.