Having visual reminders of your goals, dreams, and aspirations helps keep you focused on what’s important to you, and renew your determination to achieve them.
Throughout life’s daily crises, stresses, and distractions, visual reminders can help you remember the big picture. They can help you overcome challenges and move forward each day toward achieving the life you truly desire.
Knowing that you’re always moving forward – no matter how small the forward movement – brings a confident, peaceful feeling. You’re sure that, no matter what life brings your way, you will achieve the success you crave. This feeling is an awesome motivator to keep you going even when the chips are down, and visuals can help you get it. Remember – baby steps forward are still steps forward!
Try these ways to use visuals as a means of achieving the goals in your life:
- Post-it note reminders. This simple method puts your goals and motivators at the forefront. Buy colorful sticky notes in different shapes and fun colored pens and commit your goals to paper. Stick these notes in the places where they matter most so you can see them and think about them often.
- Place notes on your bathroom mirror, your headboard, the refrigerator door, on your favorite coffee mug or right on the bottom of your computer monitor. Any place that you’re likely to glance throughout the day is a good destination for a positive, encouraging, motivating, goal-setting note.
- Make your notes specific, “I want to eat right this week to lose 2 lbs by the 1st,” or broad but motivating, “Today will be a productive and motivating day. You can do it!” These sticky notes will encourage productivity throughout the day with simple, basic visuals.
- Note cards. Buy a stack of note cards and commit a goal or motivating principle to each one. You can purchase them already decorated or get creative and decorate them yourself. You can write notes on them and otherwise customize them to suit your needs, what inspires you, and your goals. Keep them in your pocket, purse or brief case, at your desk, or even in your car, and refer to them daily as a means of motivating yourself to achieve your goals and dreams.
- When you refer to the same note cards on a daily basis, a habit forms. It is said that 21 days to 28 days of repeating a task will ingrain it in you. Check your note cards daily until it becomes a habit, and it will become a vital tool in helping you achieve your goals.
- Visual mind maps. This tool will help you organize your goals in a highly visual way. Create a mind map on a large sheet of poster board. Designate an area for each long-term goal, and add an image and a small amount of text. Create a cloud of medium and long-term goals around each long-term goal, with lines connecting them to the long-term focus.
- Use images, colors, words, and other meaningful visuals to decorate your poster. Draw your own graphics, clip pictures from magazines, or download images from the internet to create a colorful – and visually appealing – goal-oriented mind map.
- Put time and effort into the creation of your visual mind map, and then put it in a place where you’ll see it daily. This visual will help you keep your short, medium, and long term goals in mind and will consistently remind you of what you want to be focusing on.
- You can also create your own screensaver or desktop wallpaper using photos and graphics that represent your goals and use them as an additional visual reminder of where you are headed.
Visual reminders of your goals are extremely beneficial in helping you achieve your dreams and aspirations. These reminders are easy to see on a daily basis, helping you recall your most important goals early on and throughout the day. If there are specific goals you want to focus on, visual reminders are a great way to help you achieve them.