We live in an increasingly complicated and stress-inducing world, and you’re likely to be one of the people searching for a way to turn the stress and complications around without spending thousands on unproven strategies. Affirmations can help you to turn around complicated and stressful situations in less than a month with consistent and heartfelt practice.
You’ve probably seen affirmations in books, on television, or online, and perhaps even tried repeating them for a few days without seeing much in the way of improvements in your life. Wouldn’t it be great if you could experience more positive – and lasting – personal changes from affirmations?
Making affirmations work for you starts with a clear understanding of what they are:
An affirmation is a positive statement written as if you are saying it (in your own words), and addresses a personal characteristic you may have, wish to have, or want more of. Many affirmations also include content that prompts your mind to consider the positive characteristic you have, wish to have, or want more of as part of regular self-reflection.
The process outlined below will help you experience the greatest benefits from reading affirmations:
1. Make an effort to clear your mind before reading an affirmation. Ensure you have enough time, like 15 minutes or so, to read, process, and reflect on the affirmation. Then, read through the affirmation silently and out loud to help embed it into your thoughts.
2. Are you familiar with all the words used in the affirmation? If not, look up any words or phrases that you’re unsure of. When you find the definition, think about how these words relate to the topic of the affirmation.
3. Re-state the affirmation in your own words. This step increases your understanding and retention of the content as your mind mulls over the concepts.
* You could say something like, “I think this affirmation is describing the best ways to talk about your feelings with another person. It focuses on being honest and not being afraid to share how you really feel.”
4. Endeavor to apply the affirmation to yourself. Do you behave, think, or feel as the affirmation suggests? How will you behave, think or feel differently as you apply the affirmation in both the short term (a few days), the medium term (a week or two) and over the long term (21 – 28 days or more)?
* If you identify that you already handle the subject matter in the positive and productive manner portrayed in the affirmation, then the affirmation confirms this quality in your mind and helps boost your self-confidence.
* If you believe you respond in less than positive ways to the situations described, what can you learn from the affirmation?
* Reflect on the positive methods, feelings and ideas in the affirmation to help develop those methods in your own life. Work to consistently apply the information in similar situations in the future – for at least 21 to 28 days to help you create a new, positive habit.
5. Recognize that an important function of an affirmation is to encourage you to look within yourself. Effective affirmations usually state you’re skilled at something or can emotionally deal with situations in healthy ways. Use positive, “I am” and “I am becoming” type language to cement the impression of the skill and the productive emotion for yourself.
6. Achieve self-improvement with affirmations used consistently. For people like you, who seek to live the most fulfilling life possible, affirmations can provide an endless array of self-improvement topics upon which you can reflect on a consistent basis.
* Affirmations confirm the great qualities you already have and help you develop and strengthen the characteristics you want to add to your repertoire.
* The combination of consistent self-reflection and repetition enables the affirmation to reach your sub-conscious mind and changes your beliefs and actions, one thought at a time.
7. Discover new and exciting qualities about yourself. Because life is often a rocky pathway, engaging in ongoing self-discovery can help you better navigate the bumpy parts of your journey by figuring out things about your personal qualities and ways of relating. You may already have the qualities mentioned in the affirmation within you – you may only require giving yourself “permission” to exhibit the qualities to their fullest extent.
When you use these strategies, you’ll not only discover new knowledge while reading affirmations, but you’ll also learn to apply the new information in your own life in ways that strengthen and benefit you now and in the future.
[su_divider top=”no” style=”dotted” divider_color=”#ef1478″ size=”5″]
[su_icon_text icon_color=”#ef1478″ icon_size=”30″ url=”http://thedivastylecoach.com/motivationalmondays.html”]Get your week off to a positive and powerful start – enroll in my Motivational Monday free email series![/su_icon_text]