Experiencing challenging phases in life can really test your mettle – and when you’re working on improving your physical strength and health, changing your negative habits into positive ones, or redesigning your Image, you can face tough situations that you may not have foreseen. When you encounter those bumps in the road, how do you react? Are you able to deal effectively with these challenges without going to pieces? Could you use some help in tapping into your inner strength?
Try these ideas to tap in to your strength reserves whenever the going gets tough:
1. Take some time to ponder the present situation. What do you see as the real issue? Are you making a mountain out of a mole-hill? How can you focus your efforts on the current event that’s troubling you?
2. Acknowledge your fears about the vexing situation. Before you can show resilience to move forward, it’s important to recognize any fears that have a effect on your current circumstances. Ignoring them will only serve to prevent you from confronting the true issue – a necessity if you are to find a resolution to the challenge.
3. Consider every option. Writing down your options for overcoming your challenge will help you see the situation from all angles.
* Brainstorming as many solutions as you can is a great start to finding a workable option. Try not to dismiss solutions out-of-hand too soon – creative options may come to you if you leave room for them.
* Be open-minded. Sometimes you have to remind yourself to not automatically screen out possible solutions to a sticky challenge. Every viable possibility should be considered.
* Considering every possible solution indicates you have the resilience to succeed.
4. Approach the challenge with positivity. It may sound over-simplified, but you can either approach a stumbling block thinking, “I don’t think I’m going to survive it” or “I’m going to do my best and make my way through this situation.” Taking a positive outlook will compel you to move forward through the crisis. Be optimistic!
5. Avoid looking too far ahead. Focus on what’s going on in this moment. Sometimes, it helps to make it through 1 hour at a time, renewing your commitment as you go along.
* Concentrate your energy on what you can do in the here and now.
6. Pray or meditate. Draw from your religious faith or other sources of wisdom to help you through. Spirituality regularly assists millions of people to live consistently healthy, happy lives. Perhaps finding or exploring a particular faith or type of wisdom would bring help you to renew the inner strength you desire.
7. Seek emotional support from those you love. Any troubling event is easier to navigate through when you feel the love and support from someone close to you. Bolster your “resilience reserves” by getting a little help from your friends and family members.
* Although it might be difficult for you to reach out and say, “I’m struggling,” look at it this way: your loved ones will feel better if you give them opportunities to be there for you. Accept the loving and supportive care that your loved ones are so willing to provide. You’ll likely have a chance in the future to reciprocate.
8. Soothe your spirit. What calms you down, makes you feel peace, and brings you simple joy? Take time to participate in your favorite activities to soothe your frayed emotions.
* Taking a walk in the woods, swimming a few laps at the pool, or doing a hand craft or hobby at home can be one of the most self-soothing things you can do when you’re experiencing a tricky life phase.
9. Embrace your strength. Remember that your strength has pulled you through many crises in the past. Have confidence that it can continue to bolster you through many more. Review your journals or other writings from past time periods where you’ve overcome a challenge and developed greater strength. We sometimes need a reminder that we CAN and HAVE succeeded over challenges.
Life can be exhilarating, interesting, and challenging. When you encounter a block in your path, allow your resilience to shine through. These strategies can help you draw on your inner strength to live a meaningful, enriched existence, no matter what type of challenge you encounter.